What can I do if I have an erroneous delinquency on my Credit Report?

I am using Credit Karma to monitor my credit. Today I received an update that a new account (under a financial institution I’ve never heard of; AMCA) has been placed in collections. The amount is nominal at $50. I don’t know who to call to investigate, or where to call just to pay it off so I don’t have this further impact my credit. Thanks in advance.
2 people found this answer helpful
 CFP® Boston, MA

I am not familiar with CreditKarma, however, you are entitled to receive a free copy of your credit report each year from each of the 3 nationwide credit reporting companies, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion (you simply need to request it).  Utilize www.annualcreditreport.com to request your report (this is different than the companies you see advertising on TV).
You are given an option to challenge issues on your report, and also get the contact information of the creditors on your report so you can contact them directly to resolve the issue.  If you do contact them directly make sure they are going to report this correction to the credit agencies.
Good luck.